Excerpt: Health Care Reform Now!
Steve O'Keefe
2007-08-31 20:12:47 UTC
I have permission from Wiley to distribute an excerpt from the new
book "Health Care Reform Now!: A Prescription for Change." Author and
Kaiser CEO George Halvorson offers a nonpartisan proposal for
universal health care he says won't cost taxpayers a dime. The excerpt
explains why Halvorson believes the United States is in prime position
for true reform of our health care system. He also explains how the
Internet will help make this revolution a reality.

In "Health Care Reform Now!," Halvorson lays out a plan that both
Republicans and Democrats will love. A management guru, Halvorson
shows how the same principles Wal-Mart and Target use to lower
consumer costs can be applied to health care. He shows how the same
devotion to quality that Toyota and Boeing use to reach 99% error-free
manufacturing can bring us nearly error-free medicine. And he proves
beyond doubt that the savings resulting from a uniform (and universal)
medical database will more than pay for the cost of providing basic
medical care to every single American.

Halvorson is Chairman and CEO of Kaiser Foundation Health Plans and
Hospitals. With more than 8.4 million members, Kaiser Permanente is
the largest integrated health plan in the United States. A genius in
business management, Halvorson has applied his skills worldwide,
helping establish health care systems in Jamaica and Africa. He's also
familiar with the other side of the stethoscope; Halvorson discusses
his own coronary bypass surgery as an example of the "1% of patients
who consume 35% of health care expenditures."

You can read the excerpt on the book's companion blog, located at:

http://healthcarereformnow.blogspot.com
Christeson
2008-03-19 02:41:53 UTC
Yeah, in Wisconsin we are looking at Health Care Reform.. Last year they
told us it would only cost
each and every worker in the state 500$ a month in NEW taxes. I can buy
insurance way cheaper than
that.