60,000 Marriages Broken by Iraq
w***@yahoo.com
2007-03-05 16:01:14 UTC
60,000 Marriages Broken by Iraq, Including Mine

By Stacy Bannerman
The Progressive
Posted March 5, 2007

When one military wife got the news that her husband was coming home
from Iraq, they didn't tell her he was going to bring the war back
with him.

I was folding fliers for a high school workshop on nonviolence when my
husband, a mortar platoon sergeant with the Army National Guard 81st
Brigade, walked into my office and said, "I got the call."

We hadn't talked about the possibility of him being deployed for
months, not since President Bush had declared, "Mission accomplished."
But I knew exactly what he meant; I didn't know then what it would
mean for us.

We weren't prepared, and neither was the Guard. The Guard sent him
into harm's way without providing some of the basic equipment and
materials, such as global positioning systems, night vision gear, and
insect repellant, that he would rely on during his year-long tour of
duty at LSA Anaconda, the most-attacked base in Iraq, as determined by
the sheer number of incoming rockets and mortars, which averaged at
least five per day.

Unlike active duty military, the National Guard had no functional
family support system or services in place. While the Guard was
scrambling to get it together, my husband was already gone, and I was
alone, just months after we had moved to Seattle.

Twenty-four hours after Lorin boarded the plane for Iraq, I hung a
blue star service flag -- denoting an immediate family member in
combat -- in the front window. Then I closed the blinds, hoping to
keep the harbingers of death at bay. They still got in, through the
phone, the Internet, the newspaper, and the TV.

Each week, I heard of a friend's husband or son: wounded, maimed,
shot, hit, hurt, burned, amputated, decapitated, detonated, dead. A
glossary of pain. I checked icasualties.org all the time, cursing and
crying as the numbers rose relentlessly, praying that Lorin wouldn't
be next.

I got involved with Military Families Speak Out, which is exactly what
the name suggests: an organization of people with loved ones in
uniform who are adamantly opposed to the war in Iraq. We were breaking
the military's traditional code of silence by publicly protesting this
war, and the pushback was intense, particularly for military wives. I
was ostracized by the women married to men in my husband's company,
and my husband was reprimanded by his superior officers. I was an
"unruly spouse," and Lorin could "expect adverse career consequences."

I thought being forced to serve in a war based on lies was itself an
"adverse consequence." I said as much during an interview on Hardball
with Chris Matthews, which just happened to be broadcast on the big-
screen TV during lunchtime in the mess tent at Anaconda. Lorin didn't
see it, but approximately 5,000 of the troops he was serving with did.
He heard about it for weeks, but never asked me to stop. He had his
own questions and concerns about Operation Iraqi Freedom.

During the run-up to the war, when 76 percent of Americans supported
the invasion of Iraq, we protested in the streets of Spokane. But he
was contractually bound and committed to his men. He clung to what
he'd been briefed on regarding the Guard's mission in Iraq, which
included building schools for kids.

Two months into his deployment, I got a call from him, and he said,
choking up, that there was an "accident." Two Iraqi children were dead
because he gave the order to fire a couple of mortar rounds. Several
weeks later, he phoned again, his voice flat and emotionless, to tell
me that the men he had dinner with the previous night had been killed
by the same Iraqi soldiers that they were training six hours earlier.

Days went by without any communication -- anxious hours, restless
nights. I swerved between anger and fear.

His e-mails were sometimes delayed, or returned to him as
undeliverable, with portions blacked out by military censors. The ones
that got through asked for more homemade treats, baby wipes,
batteries, movies, and magazines. One missive informed me about
rockets landing next to the trailer where he slept ... while he was in
bed. Another ended abruptly because he was under attack.

Lorin spent hours loading coffins onto cargo jets; I spent days on red
alert.

Finally, the phone rang with the news that my husband was coming home,
after nearly a year in Iraq. They didn't tell me he'd bring the war
with him.

He'd been back for almost two months, but he was still checking to see
where his weapon was every time he got in a vehicle. He drove
aggressively, talked aggressively, and sometimes I could swear that he
was breathing aggressively. This was not the man I married, this hard-
eyed, hyper-vigilant stranger who spent his nights watching the dozens
of DVDs that he got from soldiers he served with in Iraq. He couldn't
sleep, and missed the adrenaline surge of constant, imminent danger.
The amateur videos of combat eased the ache of withdrawal from war,
but did nothing to heal my soldier's heart.

At a conference on post-deployment care and services for soldiers and
their families, a Marine Corps chaplain asked, "How do you know if
you're an SOB? Your wife will tell you!"

Har-de-har-har-har. The remark got the predictable round of applause
from the capacity crowd, which, with one exception, wasn't living with
anyone who had recently returned from Iraq. I was that exception, and
it infuriated me that this was a joke. The Pentagon's solution for the
constant stress endured by those of us who felt bewildered and
betrayed was: "Learn how to laugh." With help from the Pentagon's
chief laughter instructor, families of National Guard members were
learning to walk like a penguin, laugh like a lion, and blurt "ha, ha,
hee, hee, and ho, ho."

That's the first half. See the whole thing here:

http://alternet.org/waroniraq/48788/

==========

Every American and Brit should know that more than Six million people
have been killed or crippled in Iraq since Bush/Cheney's vulgar war
was started, so it has broken up millions of lifes and caused more
suffering than anyone could comprehend. 60,000 marriages is nothing
compared to the extreme misery our f'd up government has given the
middle east.

The Bush regime (and all the democrats who've gone along with them) is
a hideous global disaster. They're guilty of the worst crimes against
humanity and should be dealt with in an international criminal court.
It's a huge pity that the leadership of the nations of the world don't
stand together in condemnation of the United States for the invasions
of Afghanistan and Iraq. Hugo Chavez is one of the few that has
enough heart and courage to do that.

The USA wins the top prize for being the worst bully the world has
ever seen and the number one exporter of horror - both in fact and in
fiction. Shame on all the democrats have supported the invasion/
occupation too. They're all screwed up, and insanely eager to support
the barbarism that got started by Cheney and his little dog, George
Bush.

Be proud my fellow americans, be proud. The people of the world don't
hate the USA, they hate the barbaric things that those in the white
house have had done to others. This is one terribly F'd up world,
largely thanks to the so called 'leadership' of the USA.

Fortunately all of that will soon change and we'll be forever free
from the horrors caused by extreme ignorance and greed.

Widespread dissemination of this article is encouraged. Please share
it
with others asap!

=======================

Some good sources for news (that are not corporate hogwash outlets -
like the major "news" networks)

http://www.CommonDreams.org/
http://DemocracyNow.org
http://alternet.org
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info
http://www.independent.co.uk
http://www.guardian.co.uk
http://www.truthdig.com
http://www.truthout.org

=================

"Man must change or die. There is no other course."
The World Teacher
http://www.share-international.org

----------------------------------

"War paralyzes your courage and deadens the spirit of true manhood.
It degrades and stupefies with the sense that you are not responsible,
that 'tis not yours to think and reason why, but to do and die,' like
the hundred thousand others doomed like yourself. War means blind
obedience, unthinking stupidity, brutish callousness, wanton
destruction, and irresponsible murder." Alexander Berkman

=========

"It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is,
Victory
is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be
continuous. Hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of
poverty and ignorance. This new version is the past and no different
past can ever have existed. In principle the war effort is always
planned to keep society on the brink of starvation. The war is waged
by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the
victory over either Eurasia or East Asia but to keep the very
structure of society intact." George Orwell

Orwell also said: "During times of universal deceit, telling the
truth becomes a revolutionary act."
Marian
2007-03-05 19:35:51 UTC
Post by w***@yahoo.com
[...]
[...]
http://alternet.org/waroniraq/48788/
Good article, wegona. You saved me the trouble of posting it myself.

Marian
Jim Chandler
2007-03-05 21:08:30 UTC
Post by Marian
Post by w***@yahoo.com
[...]
More bullshit from the left wing pap factory.

Jim
Geno2341
Jim
Jim Chandler
2007-03-05 23:46:36 UTC
Post by Jim Chandler
Post by Marian
Post by w***@yahoo.com
[...]
That's because you don't know what in the hell you're talking about...as
usual.

Jim
shrubkiller
2007-03-06 03:16:45 UTC
Post by Jim Chandler
Post by Marian
Post by w***@yahoo.com
[...]
Jim- Hide quoted text -
60,000 Vietnam vets committed suicide.

How many Iraq/Afghanistan vets realizing they raped, killed, and
tortured to please ISRAEL will go the same route?

It doesn't really matter though as they are only goyim and are just
reaping what they sowed.
*I AM* (TEXT & HTML)
2007-03-05 23:44:53 UTC
Post by Jim Chandler
Post by w***@yahoo.com
60,000 Marriages Broken by Iraq, Including Mine
http://alternet.org/waroniraq/48788/
[....snipped...>] News Post
Good article, wegona. You saved me the trouble of posting it myself.
Marian
More bullshit from the left wing pap factory.
Jim
*I AM* wrote:

More "Bushit" from the right wing Neocons.
http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essays/bitterfruit.aspx
There are none so blind as those who do not want to see,
and close their eyes ever tighter to see even less. 8-)
w***@yahoo.com
2007-03-06 16:22:46 UTC
Surely all the grown-ups can agree that the time for war has past. The
world needs diplomacy now more than ever before. This war should be be
the last one. IWe have to learn from our mistakes and move forward. If
we can't do that then we're hopelessly stupid. I know that's not the
case.

We Americans need to take back our country. Our so called leaders (the
vast majority) from both parties are blind crooks serving corporate
interests while pissing on the people, and severely f'ing up the
world.

They're very arrogant, they have no vision for the people, no remorse
for all the misery we've caused in the world, nor do they have any
desire for peace and justice. They should be thrown the hell out of
power and charged for the Crimes against humanity that they're largely
responsible for.

Congressmen Rangel and Kucinich, plus Senator Byrd are some of the few
exceptions. Eventually, Kucinich will probably get into the white
house and help transform the nation and the world.

=================================

Sadly, the top US politicians and military are controlled by psychotic
fools who think that life is a game, and that those who amass the most
billions "win". War is the most profitable of all their businesses.
That is why we are in a war. Their days in power are numbered. Like a
bunch of humpty dumptys, they will fall and never get up (in power)
again. The sooner the better!

Vote for justice:
http://www.ImpeachBush.org

Due to their obscene love of profits, the corporate media has decided
that the American people will be steered away from truth, justice &
peace. World Peace would shut down a 700 billion dollar a year
industry and they don't want that!

====================

Here are some good sources for news (that are typically NOT hogwash
outlets like the major US corporate networks)

http://www.CommonDreams.org
http://www.DemocracyNow.org
http://www.futurenet.org
http://www.gregpalast.com
http://www.independent.co.uk
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info
http://www.truthdig.com
http://www.truthout.org
http://AlterNet.org
http://Anti-War.com
http://Caracasnews.com

Facts You Might Not Know about the Iraq War

The original terrorists in Iraq were the military and civilian
officials of the Bush administration -- starting with their "shock and
awe" bombing campaign that destroyed Iraqi infrastructure in order to
"undermine civilian morale." The American form of terrorism continued
with the wholesale destruction of most of Falluja and parts of other
Sunni cities, designed to pacify the "hot beds" of insurgency, while
teaching the residents of those areas that, if they "harbor the
insurgents," they will surely "suffer the consequences."

At the individual level, this program of terror was continued through
the invasions of, and demolishing of, homes (or, in some cases, parts
of neighborhoods) where insurgents were believed to be hidden among a
larger civilian population, thus spreading the "lesson" about
"harboring terrorists" to everyone in the Sunni sections of the
country. Generating a violent death rate of at least 18,000 per year,
the American drumbeat of terror has contributed more than its share to
the recently escalating civilian death toll, which reached a record
3,149 in the official count during July. It is unfortunately accurate
to characterize the American occupation of Sunni Iraq as a reign of
terror.

============

from:
http://www.TomDispatch.com/
7 Facts You Might Not Know about the Iraq War
by Michael Schwartz

================================

WAR PICTURES

Pictures of Destruction and Civilian Victims of the Anglo-American
Aggression in Iraq

These photos are only of a very tiny fraction of the thousands of
Iraqi
Civilian Victims who have been terrorised, humiliated, injured, maimed
and killed through British and American bombing of civilian areas in
various cities of Iraq. Due to insecurity, independent reporters could
not and still can not reach many areas to photograph and report the
atrocities. Several independent reporters and journalists were
deliberately bombed to prevent them reporting the atrocities.

Please note that some of these pictures are not suitable for small
children and those who have weak hearts.

Robert Fisk:
http://snipurl.com/h6tm

Mind Prod:
http://snipurl.com/h6tp

"The time for war has past."
The World Teacher
Marian
ben huynh
2008-05-29 18:31:23 UTC
I don't understand why American so dramma about war, this how the enermy
want us to think "Put down your guard, then I will take you down" just like
Sept. 11. Another illogical that we had attemped and now repeat again, the
title of Irag like Vietnam War. Where in a place in the world have not war?
no broken family? When a man join in military is a honor to serve the
country, a risk of his/her own life, he/she want to take; however, my girl
friend want to join military but she were denied that honor. We a spouse of
man in uniform doesn't want our husband or wife in the front-line but that
the duty that they were called for.

I don't know why the military spouse demand to silent but I have this I can
think of:
1). The war in Irag is a bigger picture(s) than a normal citizen can
understand.
2). Man in the front line die quicker when discouragement. In the second
reason, because we boose up the enermy spirit; that happend to the
Vietnam-war. Man in front line in Vietnam die more when the protest in
America raise. Any way, majority of those protest were promote by the global
communist. American should be noticed that none of communist country, the
citizen dare to protest.

Why American don't realize that the war we fight in Irag is fight over the
Muslim world, using religious is a step stone to destroy us. Who involved in
the Sept. 11, is that just poor guy on street want "$", or demand a rasom?
Why don't take a fact and dare to speak the fact that these are duty of
Muslim religious that what they did from the ancient world B.C. until A.D.
and on and on, untill now. Communist idealistic and Muslim idealistic they
are no different, want rule and take away people freedom of religious,
freedom of press, freedom of essembly...
We hear some woman and use human body bome, btw, not all of them acts
lurnatic but majority family were threatening. e.g. a lady with 6 children,
she have to do it otherwise they kill her children...
Common, American wake up and smell the reality!!!!!