Some Americans refuse to give up on Confederate flag
Stand Up For Your Rights
2018-05-16 20:04:50 UTC
HANOVER, Pa. (AP) — Many Americans assumed the Confederate flag
was retired for good after governors in South Carolina and
Alabama removed it from their statehouses this summer and
presidential candidates from both parties declared it too
divisive for official display.

But people still fly it, and not just in the South, despite
announcements by leading flag-makers and retailers that they
will no longer sell products showing the secessionist battle
flag.

Some who display it are motivated by pride in their ancestry or
enthusiasm for Southern history. Others see it as a symbol of
their right to challenge to authority in general, and the
federal government in particular. And some have hoisted
Confederate flags in recent weeks precisely because it's
generating controversy again.

"You can't take it out on the flag — the flag had nothing to do
with it," said Ralph Chronister, who felt inspired to dig out
his old Confederate flag, which is decorated with a bald eagle,
and hang it from his weather-beaten front porch on a heavily
traveled street in Hanover, Pennsylvania.

"I've got nothing against black people; I've got nothing against
anyone else," said Chronister, 46, who was raised in Maryland.
"I'm just very proud of my Southern heritage. That's why I fly
it."

An uncomfortable tolerance of the Confederate flag in mainstream
society was upended in June when photos circulated on the
Internet revealing that a young white racist charged with
killing nine black churchgoers in Charleston, South Carolina,
had posed with the Confederate symbol. Dylann Roof also burned a
U.S. flag for good measure. Roof wants to guilty to more than 30
federal charges, his lawyer said Friday.

John Russell Houser — the right-wing extremist who shot 11
people, two of them fatally, before killing himself in a
Louisiana movie theater in July — also flew a large Confederate
flag outside his home, and hung a Nazi swastika banner outside a
bar he owned in Georgia.

Many politicians echoed South Carolina's Republican Gov. Nikki
Haley to remove the Confederate flag after the Charleston
killings, describing it as a relic that belongs in museums but
not on official display. Haley called it "a deeply offensive
symbol of a brutally oppressive past." Democratic presidential
candidate Hillary Clinton said "it shouldn't fly anywhere."

Hundreds of Confederate flag wavers gathered this weekend in
Georgia's Stone Mountain Park, home to the huge "Confederate
Memorial Carving" featuring Confederate President Jefferson
Davis, General Robert E. Lee and General Thomas "Stonewall"
Jackson.

But the flags aren't hard to find in places like Hanover, a
factory and farm community about six miles north of the Mason-
Dixon Line that saw action during the Civil War's Gettysburg
campaign.

One flies from a pole on the main road into town, by a National
Rifle Association banner. Another was hung from a second-floor
apartment, directly above a day-care downstairs.

Jeremy Gouge, a 44-year-old roofer, says family ties to the
South are why he proudly flies a Confederate battle flag on a
pole in his front yard, on a quiet residential street not far
from Chronister's home.

"I know there's things that happened to slaves and things. I
can't control what other people have done," Gouge said. "What's
the next flag that someone is going to say, 'We don't like that
flag, let's take that one down?'"

It's hardly the only place where Confederate flags fly in
northern states. Hannah Alberstadt said she was surprised to see
many of them in her hometown of Girard in northwestern
Pennsylvania.

"My town has always had sort of a hickish contingent, but it's
like every other day I see another Confederate flag, and it's
just shocking," she said. "These people are definitely trying to
make a statement, because people have them waving from their
truck beds, people have them on a stick in their front yards,
people are wearing them to the grocery store."

The symbol still raises ire: A flag on the back of a pickup
truck parked in a convenience store lot in the middle of Hanover
was set on fire. And in Elk Grove, California, a Confederate
flag was displayed at a gun shop until the owners removed it in
late June after getting death threats.

In Las Vegas, Republican state assemblywoman Michelle Fiore sent
out a campaign email comparing South Carolina's removal of the
flag to avoiding discussion of concentration camps and genocide.
People can't "pick and choose what parts of our history you want
to remember," Fiore said.

In eastern Michigan, flag supporters staged a rolling rally,
with more than 50 vehicles participating. And in Florida, an
estimated 2,000 vehicles adorned with the Confederate battle
flag rallied outside a government complex in Ocala, with many
demonstrators sporting shirts with phrases like "heritage not
hate."

On Thursday, surveillance cameras recorded two white men leaving
Confederate battle flags on the grounds of the Ebenezer Baptist
Church in Atlanta, where Martin Luther King Jr. began his
campaign for racial justice a half-century ago. The Rev. Raphael
Warnock called it a "hateful act" and an "effort to intimidate
us in some way."

The condemnations have been good for the business of Robert
Hayes, who runs the Southern Patriot Shop in Abbeville, South
Carolina.

A sign outside his shop warned customers he'd sold out of
Confederate flags and may be out for a month or more. Hayes
figures he sold about 400 after the Charleston shooting, instead
of the two dozen or so he typically sells. And the purchasers
seem different to him now.

Teens are buying it as a rebellious counter-culture statement
against political correctness, Hayes said, and others talk of
taking a stand against big government and holding fast to what
they hold dear.

Carson Kimsey, 23, came to Hayes' shop hoping for a flag to fly
outside his Elbert County, Georgia, home. Kimsey gave a few
different answers about the Confederate flag license plate on
his pickup truck, then looked down for a second when asked if he
ever thinks about how blacks feel when they see it.

"If they want to get offended, that's their problem. I fly it
for my own reasons. It's got nothing to do with hate for
anybody. My boss is black. I work for two black guys. I have
this tag, I pull up for work every day. It doesn't bother them,"
Kimsey said, though he acknowledged he never has broached the
topic with them.

The Confederate flag still flies outside two biker bars near the
home that Angela Burns, a black woman, rents on Dixie Drive in
Anderson County, South Carolina, where five of the six state
representatives voted against removing it from the Statehouse.

Burns, 54, shrugs off the rebel banners sprouting up since then.

"You ignore it after a while. I'm not letting them bother me,"
she said. "But every one of them knows they are being mean and
ugly."

http://www.chron.com/news/us/article/Some-Americans-refuse-to-
give-up-on-Confederate-6420165.php

Mr. B1ack
2018-05-16 20:33:20 UTC
On Wed, 16 May 2018 22:04:50 +0200 (CEST), "Stand Up For Your Rights"
Post by Stand Up For Your Rights
HANOVER, Pa. (AP) — Many Americans assumed the Confederate flag
was retired for good after governors in South Carolina and
Alabama removed it from their statehouses this summer and
presidential candidates from both parties declared it too
divisive for official display.
But people still fly it, and not just in the South, despite
announcements by leading flag-makers and retailers that they
will no longer sell products showing the secessionist battle
flag.
Make lots of stencils, stick-ons ... people will
plaster it everywhere. The more they try to
crack down, the more you'll see.

Is it "hateful" ? Sometimes. Other times it's
a symbol of "resisting The Man" or some other
variant on general liberty and freedom and
independence. Think of it as the southern
mans version of the Guy Fawkes mask.
A sort-of "You may have won the battles but
you'll never really win the war" statement.

Pick any idea, image, icon ... you will always
find *someone* who is "offended" by it. This
does not mean they get to dictate to the rest
of the world however ; they do not get dibs
on what it means that everyone else has to
accept "just because". Being "offended" does
not transform you into a god.

In any case, human psychology dictates that
the more you make something "forbidden" the
more attractive it becomes.